Sunday 18 September 2011

Subculture - Stop Modernists ft. Chris Lowe (Pet Shop Boys) (New Order Cover)



Apparently this has been out a while but I admit I have neglected the psb web site for a while ( sorry Neil!)
Any true psb fan ( and New Order fan) would go WOW to know of this song. Chris is doing full vocals , yes sung vocals on a New order track, 'subculture' , produced by Swiss DJ's /producers ' Stop modernists'. Wow!
The PSB's have a close connection with New order, musically and historically. They of course collaborated with ' electronic' , consisting of Neil, Johnny Marr and Bernard Sumner in the 90's.
Chris famously has rarely done vocals except for the odd well placed line or lesser know vocal in  some tracks (shopping, paninaro, we all feel better in the dark etc)

This is a tough one for me to judge. I love PSB, (I've met Neil) and I love New Order, (  I've chatted to Peter Hook online) but  I know nothing about the Stop Modernists.  More importantly, I love the classic track ' subculture' by New order. One of its clever features was the very slightly out of time bass line that gave it that unusual disjointed hard edge associated with Manchester indie music at the time. It's got that angst of teenage life in the 80's , from the brilliant album 'Low Life'.  A very, very, New Order track from a very very New Order album. I remember playing this as a teen really loud in my bedroom. I had the white box cassette album with the cool semi see through plastic postcards! I still have it.

The only way i can review this track is to do it in 3 stages

stage 1: OMG! Chris doing a New Order track! Brilliant. Love it!
stage 2: Hmmm, It's not as good as the original
stage 3: Actually, Chris is so good on it,  it's very good!

I think the music could have been more detailed, sorry Stop Modernists. It is a great groove but it's not got the depth of the original, but then again, that leaves room for Chris to take the track totally over and make it his. (maybe deliberately?) So I am at odds on how to judge it really!

Chris is the perfect person to do a cover of this song, no doubt about that. He has a charisma and edge that totally justifies it. I can't think of anyone better to do it. His voice is not a singers voice, yet he proves here he can sing in tune and with a great tone too. His best vocal yet, but he has a hidden emotion behind it.  It's more than what you get on face value, which is what the PSB ( and New order to some degree) do so well.

No score yet , as I am still considering it.. will see how it ages with a few more plays ( I'm on +20 so far), 10 for Chris though!

Plus 20 plays?! must be good then ! well worth a listen.

enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.