Sunday 24 February 2013

New Macbook Pro and Logic 9

I got a brand new macbook pro yesterday. (The last one died early last year) I also bought logic pro 9 too so I'm well set up now! I went off mac for a while but this is great!..loving it!

I Seriously can't afford it but unfortunately (or fortunately) is pretty much essential for a musician / teacher / producer so gotta be done, it's an investment as it were.

Basically I have an interview soon and havn't a hope in hell of getting it without a Mac to prep on. Plus it's not the 1st time that's happened, had one a month ago that would have gone so much better if I'd had time to prepare on a mac. No guarantee I'll get the job of course but it's gotta be a help to have the tool for the job, it's not easy preparing a lessons / demo on a mac / logic when you havn't got one!

My Last macbook was one of the standard white plastic ones, 2008 I think, and had a Turkish layout keyboard which was a nightmare ( as I bought it in turkey when I was working there)

This is the aluminium macbook pro, with backlit keys, miles better! and the new OSX is really set up well for musicians ( the old one was not)

 

 

I bought the cheapest macbook model at £999. My mum has just bought a new laptop with windows 8. It cost £369 and has massively good specs, actually on paper better than my high end PC i got a year ago! (apart from the bus speed and grapics) and better specs than this mac (larger HD, faster processor, more ram)

But for some reason, macs just run fast and quick, well this one does ( last one wasn't great). Well above an equivelent spec'd windows machine. I think it has a much higher bus speed... ? It literally took me 2 minutes to get it all up and running, logged into email and registered. Starts and shuts in seconds and runs logic brilliantly.

More importantly it's actually been set up properly for musicians Hurray!! About time they caught on that a high percentage of their users / buyers and artists and musicians.

I've already downloaded about 20GB of free updates and jam packs for garage band and logic. massive amount of sounds to play with already before looking at other plug ins. Ordering and downloading Logic was so easy and quick. Very impressive. I already have an apple ID from my last mac and from my ITunes label, so didn't have to set that up.



I love the backlit keys, totally designed for playing on stage in the dark.

and the best bit is it comes with a little packet containing two apple stickers and a cleaning cloth. Well worth the extra £600 for those alone ! Maybe they should market it as the worlds most expensive and exclusive stickers.



Thanks to My wife for suggesting / encouraging me to get it. Hopefully it will help me get the job I need and want and even if not, it is a highly useful, excellent, impressive (and expensive) addition to my music arsenal. I consider this an addition , not a replacement to the last one, it's a much better beast altogether just to be considered a replacement.

After I finish my current track I'm working on, you can guarantee my next one will be produced on the new macbook.

-Till next time
-DV

1 comment:

  1. It looks like an excellent investment, Ant. Best of luck with the interview, and looking forward to hearing the "fruits" of your labours with this mac :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.